In my opinion, there is nothing more enticing than a warm and wholesome breakfast to get you out of bed on a cold winter’s morning. Whilst I love a good serve of porridge, I do tend to tire of it day after day during the colder months. So I was delighted to stumble upon this variation on Pinterest. I made mine the night before (so I didn’t have to do so before work today) and warmed it in the microwave this morning. However, it is so quick and easy to whip up that in the future I’ll make it and serve it hot from the oven, especially because I think it will taste even better that way.
Baked Oatmeal with Berries
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (divided in two)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup frozen berries (I used raspberries, blueberries and blackberries)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a medium bowl combine the oats, half of the walnuts, baking powder and cinnamon. Stir to combine. In a liquid measuring cup combine the honey, milk, egg and vanilla.
3. Place half the berries on the bottom of a small baking dish. Sprinkle the dry oat mix over the fruit in an even layer. Pour the liquid ingredients evenly over the oats.
4. Sprinkle the remaining nuts and berries over the top. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, until the top is browned and the oats have set. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
* Also, if you’re anything like me and love a good browse of a design blog during your day, head on over to Paper Crave. Today the gorgeous Kristen has featured some of my designs, but there is always something that’s bound to inspire!